Texas State University-San Marcos
2012-2017 University Goals and Initiatives
Goal 1: Promote academic quality by building and supporting a distinguished faculty.
- 1.1 Increase average full-time faculty salaries at all ranks.
- 1.2 Increase number of full-time faculty.
- 1.3 Attract and retain highly competent faculty by providing annual merit increases based on performance.
- 1.4 Provide a university infrastructure (including equipment and facilities) to support teaching, research, and scholarly and creative activity.
- 1.5 Offer academic programs that are nationally and internationally competitive.
- 1.6 Strengthen research and scholarly/creative activity efforts through achieving increases in grant expenditures and increasing collaboration across disciplines.
- 1.7 Provide reasonable start-up funds in order to attract and retain distinguished faculty and to provide the essential equipment to conduct research and attract external grants.
- 1.8 Support faculty efforts in international research.
- 1.9 Maintain Emerging Research University status and pursue the Texas Research Incentive Program (TRIP).
Goal 2: Provide opportunities for a public university education and contribute to economic and cultural development.
- 2.1 Move forward on the Closing the Gaps goals of participation, success, excellence, and research.
- 2.2 Continue engagement in the economic and cultural development of the region.
- 2.3 Increase student scholarships and graduate student financial support in an effort to improve recruitment and retention of high achieving students.
- 2.4 Internationalize the curriculum.
- 2.5 Support faculty and students in pursuing global academic experiences, e.g. study abroad, internships, field placement, research, service learning.
- 2.6 Maintain a vigorous, targeted recruitment and marketing campaign.
- 2.7 Recognize the role of moving to the FBS in developing the image of the university and enhancing economic and cultural development.
- 2.8 Enhance and support distance learning and Friday/Saturday course deliver.
Goal 3: Provide a premier student-centered, educational experience that fosters retention and success.
- 3.1 Increase student retention through collaborative programs across the university.
- 3.2 Enhance quality and consistency of academic advising services.
- 3.3 Develop an Honors College to better attract and engage high achieving students.
- 3.4 Recognize and support intercollegiate athletics and the arts as vehicles to promote a well-rounded collegiate experience for all students.
- 3.5 Refine student learning outcomes and appropriate assessment measures within each academic program and general education curriculum to ensure program improvement and provide evidence of student success.
- 3.6 Refine administrative and educational support, research, and public service outcomes and appropriate assessment measures within identified departments to ensure improvement and provide evidence of success.
- 3.7 Recognize the importance of academic and administrative program review processes to facilitate program improvement in support of the University mission.
- 3.8 Foster an environment that cultivates students to become successful, engaged alumni.
- 3.9 Broaden efforts to facilitate successful transition of students to the workplace and graduate/professional education.
- 3.10 Continue faculty and student information literacy initiatives that support achievement of student learning outcomes.
- 3.11 Implement Personalized Academic and Career Exploration (PACE) to foster retention and success.
Goal 4: Enrich our learning and working environment by attracting and supporting a more diverse faculty, staff, and student body.
- 4.1 Attract and retain a diverse faculty and staff.
- 4.2 Remain a Hispanic Service Institution and emphasizes retention and graduation.
- 4.3 Enhance recruitment, retention, and support programs for all racial, ethnic, and international groups.
- 4.4 Expand efforts to promote diversity and inclusion among all faculty, staff, and students.
- 4.5 Seek historically underutilized business suppliers.
Goal 5: Develop and manage human, financial, physical, and technological resources effectively, efficiently, and ethically to support the university's mission.
- 5.1 Increase average full-time staff salaries at all ranks.
- 5.2 Increase number of full-time staff.
- 5.3 Attract and retain highly competent staff by providing annual merit increases based on performance.
- 5.4 Maintain a physical setting that presents Texas State as a premier institution.
- 5.5 Implement the Campus Master Plan update for 2012-2017 to ensure it meets the needs of the University.
- 5.6 Expand and support professional development opportunities for faculty and staff.
- 5.7 Continue support for structured, standards-driven web course development and programs that enable faculty to appropriately integrate technology into the teaching-learning process.
- 5.8 Reduce deferred maintenance in existing facilities.
- 5.9 Improve processes outlines in SACS Principles of Accreditation to ensure ongoing compliance with standards, while continuously improving overall educational quality.
- 5.10 Maintain coordinated assessment processes that assist university stakeholders in multiple assessment activities, including strategic planning, student learning and success, and program excellence.
- 5.11 Effectively utilize alumni and external constituents to influence and generate human and financial capital opportunities.
- 5.12 Assess the needs and opportunities to refine Alkek Library utilization to improve support for the achievement of faculty and student instructional and research outcomes.
- 5.13 Ensure regulatory compliance, environmentally responsible practices and the efficient use of energy and water resources.
- 5.14 Leverage Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) and other technology investments to continually improve campus business and instructional support activities.
- 5.15 Complete the Pride and Action campaign plan to achieve the goal.
- 5.16 Promote a safe and secure environment.
2012-2017 University Goals and Initiatives.pdf