2017-2023 Administrative Plan Instructions
2017-2023 ADMINISTRATIVE PLAN INSTRUCTIONS
For All Administrative Support Units
Texas State University
The 2017-2023 University Plan goals and initiatives finalized October 3, 2016*, provide the framework for creating administrative plans. Please use this information to guide the planning process in your unit. That process should include a review of your current plan to determine which of the initiatives listed there have been completed and which should be moved forward to your 2017-2023 plan. Also, an important part of the process is a discussion among division stakeholders to ensure support for, and continuity among, plans.
* Pending approval by the Board of Regents and the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board
1. Administrative support units must include all sections in their plans: I. Introduction, II. Process, III. Program Maintenance, and IV. Planning Goals. If a unit does not have initiatives to list under one of the four goals in Section IV, it should indicate N/A for that goal.
2. Each administrative support unit should format its planning document using the template provided.
3. Administrative support units should keep in mind that plans must be written so that others, including various committees charged with reading across plans, can easily gather information (i.e., acronyms should be used only after a term is spelled out in full when first used).
4. List “resources needed” for implementing a particular initiative only once in Section IV. In other words, do not repeat/duplicate resources needed for the same initiative elsewhere in the plan.
5. Unit goals and strategies should be directly linkable to university goals and to the supporting initiatives listed under those goals (which are presented in no particular order in the University Plan).
6. All plans must be designed for electronic submission (e-mail attachment) so that they may be posted on the University Planning and Assessment website.
Unit Plan Format
State your administrative department/unit/division mission statement.
Outline briefly your “vision” for the 2017-2023 planning cycle.
Using university goals and initiatives as a guide, list and briefly describe your top five priorities for the 2017-2023 planning cycle and indicate the university initiative/goal to which the unit’s goal is linked.
Based on unit goals, list the number of new (not replacement) staff lines you plan to request in the 2017-2018 fiscal year and in the remaining 2-6 years.
Based on the unit goals outlined in your plan, estimate the total amount of new funding that your unit will realistically need in the 2017-2018 fiscal year and in the remaining 2-6 years.
State the facilities (e.g. offices, workspace) that will be required for anticipated growth and new unit goals.
Describe, in a brief paragraph, the process used to develop your plan, including the nature and extent of staff involvement.
III. Program Maintenance
Outline any established programs or activities within your administrative support unit that are inadequately funded due to growth, inflation, or other cost increases. Please list the resources needed to maintain these programs and activities at a reasonable level of quality. You may also briefly list ongoing major initiatives that are working well (that you want to continue); if you do so, list your funding source. Additionally, review any existing programs or activities within your administrative support unit that are underutilized and that might be modified, changed, or deleted in an effort to reallocate existing resources.
IV. Planning Goals (University Goal Statements)
Directions: Below are the four goals that will guide the 2017-2023 University Plan. As you develop unit goals in response to these university goals, keep in mind that the focus of a strategic plan, as opposed to a tactical or operational plan, is on major initiatives, not day-to-day operations of the unit. “New” goals may include major long-term initiatives that are included in your current strategic plan, but that have not as yet been “realized,” as long as they are linkable to a 2017-2023 university goal. Include in Section IV the top five priorities that you listed earlier in Section I.
For each of the four university goals, list any major goals that your unit proposes in support of the university goal and the approximate timeline (either the 2017-2018 fiscal year or within 2-6 years). Please describe, in approximate terms, (1) new resources needed, if any, for the proposed unit goal (e.g., facilities, equipment, technology, administrative staff, etc.), (2) how the unit plans to obtain those resources, (3) criteria for assessing unit goals listed, and (4) direct linkage to specific university initiatives. It is not expected that individual units will have major goals for all university initiatives related to these university goals.
Goal 1: Promote the success of all students.
Goal 2: Offer high quality academic and educational programming.
Goal 3: Achieve significant progress in research and creative activity as measured by national standards.
Goal 4: Provide the necessary services, resources, and infrastructure to support the university’s strategic direction.